Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Something Old, Something New



When the electrical workers were in the office 2 weeks ago they slid plywood sheets over the floor so that they would have an even surface to walk on and wouldn’t damage the wooden floor while they worked. The plywood is still there and I walked around on it after lunch, pushing on it, sort of hop-scotching, to see if it bent at certain points. I could use this as a lazy diagnosis of what else should be repaired--besides the jumbo monkey-entry-turned-Phaye death-trap hole— when I got a professional floor fix-it guy. Dirk had covered the hole with a square piece of wood that he siliconed around the edges and, when I stepped on the area, my weight lifted the plywood up at its edges. The plywood wasn’t nailed down and I was easily able to lift up the sheet and look under it. Hey, big surprise, the hole was open. No Dirk-made cover, no dry silicone left-overs, no smoothed edges that Dirk had cut when he started fixing it. It was a rough, oval hole that looked like it was broken through or chewed out.


On the monitor that we had tentatively named Being 3, was the above image. When I got close to the screen I saw that a color printout had been taped over it. I peeled back the corner of the printout and saw that the monitor, along with all the others, was still dead. I was by myself, so I concluded that this was man-made intervention. Brilliant, huh? Had the Being & Nothingness Cam Team members been here I feel confident that they could have worked up some sort of reasoned or non-reasoned lather about this, but, well, they’re not. Alternative pranksters to this being staff action may be paranormal activity, members of the ‘70’s band Supertramp, a cold snake or, of course, space monkeys.


I had only had three cups of coffee, so I thought, That’s a hell of a thing. I left it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment