Thursday, March 18, 2010

Lord, Is This Boring

It’s quiet here at the Being & Nothingness Cam Project office, unless you count the gang from the Electric U making holes in the walls and Dirk and his computer dude/dudette friends hauling around computer equipment. Dirk’s gang took the SAALI unit into the yard and packed it up like it was an IED, since we’re unclear about what it is supposed to be doing. (Note to the "Self Aware and Lovin’ It (SAALI)" designers: the hardware, software, and function are shaky and obtuse. If you could get the Project grantors to take it back I’d be thrilled. Also, it smells funny and the name is stupid.)


I miss the other quiet of the Being & Nothingness Cam Team staring at monitors, making coffee, shouting out odd theories about the whats and wheres of the various cameras, and slingin’ around things like the truth being ultimately unknowable. I must get back that quiet quickly.


At around 11 this morning a pair of Jehovah’s Witnesses stuck their heads in the door at the same time that I was talking with Aureliano Jose from the Central California Sartre Society to set up a meeting. I admire the perseverance of both groups, although the JW’s have inflexibility that is anathema to philosophers. Where’s the fun in having the answers and agreeing with each other, and why would you want to be so peppy and clean? Before they left I checked with them to make sure that they still don’t believe in either evolution or hell, and it looks like they’re sticking to their guns. I couldn’t say that philosophers would stick to evolution, hell, or guns.


I’m getting together with Aureliano Jose on Monday. I told him that there is no point in any of this, because I won't give up the title, concept, operation, theory, existence, thought of, or the endless lucrative possibilities of the Being & Nothingness Cam. If I don’t see him, though, he’ll be like the JW’s, sticking his head in the door uninvited. Dirk says I shouldn’t meet him alone because the guy’s only motive might be to get out of the Central Valley heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment