Friday, March 5, 2010

Punishing the B&NC Team, Part 1

What are the quintessential needs and characteristics of philosopher-types?

- Cigarettes

- Berets

- Dim lighting

- Coffee

- Bored faces with eyes fixed into middle space.

- Talk about philosophy. Discussing philosophers is optional; more likely to talk about own philosophy, which is also known as complaining.


Here are the Being & Nothingness Cam Team members:

- Only one of them smokes

- None of them wear berets

- I had to turn up the light because of the uneven wooden floors (not their fault)

- I still haven’t replaced our espresso machine

- They don’t seem particularly bored

- The philosopher talk has dwindled. They do some complaining.


A couple of months ago, I was in an upscale clothing consignment shop and they had a pile of reddish-pink berets. A PILE. I asked the owner what the deal was and she said a guy had come in with a big box of them. She said she wasn’t real keen on the berets, but took them anyway. What she did like was the fabulous puffy shirt and purple jacket he was wearing. He was short and black, with a long thin face and he looked like he was born to wear those clothes. She was wondering if he had others that he would be interested in putting on consignment, but he had such a cool, serious look that she was afraid to ask.


I bought five berets, because I thought I would give them to my staff one day as a bit of silliness. With my whining about my management style in mind, however, and this ongoing, quiet Team rebellion regarding a variety of my requests and concerns, these berets are about to become punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment