Thursday, March 25, 2010

Microwaves and Moths

Next week the Being & Nothingness Cam Project will again be tapped by a magic wand (sort of) and the theoretical cameras will be hooked up to the real computers. Now that the electrical upgrade and computer replacement are done I get to turn my attention to modifying office details. Tom, Sia, and Phaye are all coming in, even though there isn’t much for the Team to do. I tried to discourage them by making them wear their raspberry berets, but they’re still here, offering opinions and playing games of Guess the Geographic Origins of the Coffee.


I was going to get a microwave for popcorn and heating up water and stuff, but Sia is vehement that we mustn’t have a microwave. She said it would fry Phaye’s and her ovaries and make them useless. I’m assuming that she meant that it wouldn’t make the women useless, just their ovaries. Sia didn’t say anything about me, so I guess my ovaries are fine to fry. She wants a toaster oven, but I see one of the B&NC Team members here at 3 AM or so, toasting wheat bread in the oven, and getting distracted and then our little wooden house turned office burns down. They’re responsible adults and all, but between staring at monitors, extreme hyperness from the two dozen daily cups of coffee and horrible post-coffee crashes, they may not be attentive. Unless there’s a heating device that doesn’t need human attention and doesn’t destroy ovaries I’m stymied.


We’ve had an ongoing food moth invasion and they’re still around despite every molecule of edible material going into the electricians mouths last week. If Phaye had bought a bag of monkey chow while Space the capuchin monkey was here they would have eaten that, too. The shelf above the counter in the break room looks like it’s been licked clean, and the cupboard under the counter looks like a dog has been sleeping in it. If the electricians were driven to licking the shelves they should have just asked for more to eat. One of the guys brought his very sweet-natured pug in here every day, and while the dog was a gifted drooler and farter, he didn’t seem like much of a climber, so I don't think he's a shelf-licking suspect.


I don’t like the idea of spraying insecticide in here because the only ventilation, really, is the fans that Dirk installed to keep the computer equipment from overheating. In my minds’ eye I see those moths getting sucked into those fans and spit out, stunned but not dead, and then going on vengeful egg-laying sprees. When moths invaded my house last year I became a crazy person with a flyswatter and a towel, convinced that if I just kill this last one, I’d win. I think I'll occupy the B&NC Team by forming a moth Search-and-Destroy detail.

1 comment: