Friday, February 5, 2010

Not Affiliated With...

Rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta) very seriously out of its natural environment

Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) in space capsule chair surrounded by
dudes with dubious hair cuts


I’m terribly cranky about people mistaking one animal for another. This is not very nice and has to do with me being snotty, manically attached to wildlife, and wanting to appear smarter than other people. We all have our alluring sides.


So to clarify: a big mistake people make about the “Probably Space Monkeys” blog is that it is affiliated with space monkeys*, or the other space monkeys, that were, in fact, chimpanzees**. I really hate it when people call chimps monkeys and who knows what the chimps think. They may very well think, If I could get my hands on a monkey I'd have a fine meal.



* Rhesus monkeys have had an awfully hard time of it, haven’t they?


** Hey, did you know that chimps share over 200% of their genetic material with humans? And that’s darned good considering that percentages can only go to 100%.

5 comments:

  1. testing-did you get my earlier post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Probably Space Monkeys to thank for turning my previously luddite daughter to a member of the 21st century. I lured her in to your blog with the prarrie dog story--she became despondant when reading of the furry little animals trapped between your floorboards and the dirt beyond.
    To cheer her up, I showed her the chimp and rhesus (being a lover of all things ape, she knows the difference) and she became so excited she ran out of my house. As I write this she is in some big box electronics store buying herself a computer. You have shown her the way to more ways of wasting her valuable time. Thank you Space Monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne-

    The only post I've seen from you is the one about Jesus in January. Did I miss something?

    And, hey! Sign on as an Adherent (a.k.a. Follower)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to look up luddite. I have to assume that you're referring to a distaste of technology and not 19th century British workers. Or not.

    Please let your daughter know that the prairie dogs do not appear to be trapped. At this point there is still no sign of them but they are definitely not under the house.

    ReplyDelete